Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dru's Diabetic Friendly Banana Pudding

I have had the pleasure of a Wonderful Facebook Follower/Friend Base. One of those friends is Dru Lovett. She is as she will tell you, a Southern Gal who loves to share her love of cooking as much as I do. She first contacted me because I put out a calling for ""Guest Bloggers". She wrote and said "I don't know if you are looking for someone who is known or unknown. Right then and there I knew I had to get to know who Dru is. She is a delightful woman who is well versed in Southern Cooking but also has a down to earth sensibility to her that brought her to creating alternative diet recipes to taste as good if not better than the original!
Her local cable channel was lucky enough to have her for a few years on a show called "Barbeque a la Dru", and now we are honored and humbled to have Dru as a friend and as a Guest here @Food is Love.

Dru writes:
Photo Credit: Dru Lovett

I had a small restaurant several years ago near the local hospital. Diabetic customers kept asking for diabetic friendly desserts. Being hypoglycemic myself, I have to be careful of carbs and sugar intake. One day I sliced 1/2 a banana into some fat free pudding and the wheels began to turn. This dessert became my best seller in the restaurant among ALL of my customers....not just diabetics.
I had a cooking show on local cable T.V. for several years and this was the very first recipe I made on air. I remember being so nervous. My background is in Health Care, not broadcasting....Cooking has become a hobby that has gotten me several little party catering jobs here in Northwest Alabama, but Nursing is my first love. We retired 13 years ago from our jobs in Peoria, Il and came back to our home state. I really learned to cook out of self defense because I thought all the food up north was half raw compared to how we used to cook things for a long time here in the south. I have developed a lot of compromising recipes over the years that North & South seem to enjoy.
 Dru Lovett
Winfield, AL


Diabetic Friendly Banana Pudding
4 bananas
1 six serving size sugar free instant vanilla pudding
3 cups cold fat free milk
1 12 oz carton light whipped topping
1  8oz  carton low fat sour cream
1 box regular or light vanilla wafers
Slice bananas. Mix pudding with milk using wire whisk. Fold in low fat sour cream and  about 34 of light whipped topping. Reserve remaining 1/4 for topping.
Layer vanilla wafers in bottom and up sides of a glass bowl. Spread with half of pudding mixture. Add 2 sliced bananas and a single layer of wafers. Spread remaining pudding mixture making sure you spread it to the edges to seal. Add slices from remaining bananas. Add another layer of wafers and top with remaining whipped topping. Reserve a couple of banana slices dipped in lemon juice for decoration, or sprinkle with vanilla wafer crumbs. Chill and serve.

7 comments:

  1. What a great recipe. Especially for us who have to watch our sugar intake. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a Great Recipe??? Love it!!! Thanks again Dru !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe! Even though I'm not diabetic, this is a healthier alternative that I'd love to try!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am not a diabetic but many of my relatives are. finally, i can make them a tasty diabetic- friendly dessert! thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dru is definitely a Pro~ Love her ideas! So glad she shared this one with us! Thanks so much for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a Type 1 diabetic with non-diabetic blood sugars and I am afraid I have to disagree strongly. This is NOT a diabetic-friendly dessert at all! It is still high in carbs. Sugar free does not mean diabetes-friendly.

    A food needs to be low in carbs in order to be truly diabetes-friendly. In this recipe, there are bananas, which are very high in carb and turn straight to sugar in the blood. The vanilla wafers are also high in carbs, and there is usually no difference in carb count between regular and light. Both are equally high in carbs and equally bad for diabetics. As for the dairy, did you know that the lower the fat content of dairy products, the higher the carb content? In other words, thick cream is more diabetes-friendly than nonfat milk, and a little goes a long way, plus it tastes much better too.

    Fat is not the problem in diabetes. Fat does not raise blood sugar. It is carbs that raise blood sugar. And this particular recipe is guaranteed to raise blood sugar because it is high in carbs and not particularly diabetes-friendly.

    ReplyDelete